DUI Attorneys in Oakland County
Birmingham & Oak Park Driving Under the Influence Charges
Have you been arrested for drunk driving? At Fraiberg & Pernie, we understand the various problems which can result from an arrest of driving under the influence (DUI) in Michigan. Our goal is to protect you from these severe consequences. A DUI conviction and the penalties it carries can have damaging effects on your future.
Our Oakland County DUI lawyers have the experience and knowledge that is necessary know exactly what type of defense strategies are effective against your DUI charges. We understand that every case, client and situation needs a different approach to be successful. You can rely on our skilled legal team to work hard for you to protect your rights and reduce the penalties you may be facing.
Learn more by browsing the following specific topics:
If you are facing DUI charges in Oakland County, schedule a FREE case evaluation to see your legal options. Our attorneys have the experience your case needs achieve a successful outcome.
Defense Strategies for DUI Charges in Oakland County
Going up against law enforcement in Michigan area can be extremely difficult, especially when the law takes drunk driving charges very seriously. Our Oak Park attorneys will examine every detail of your arrest and will use this information as the start of your defense. Many times your rights are violated or the tactics law enforcement use can be misleading or unlawful. When your future is on the line, it is important that you seek the legal counsel of an experienced Oakland County lawyer.
A few strategies we may use to defend against your charges include:
- Law enforcement did not have probable cause to stop you
- The results of the field sobriety tests were inaccurate
- You were not read your chemical tests rights, or the chemical test was not performed correctly
Oakland County DUI & OWI Penalties
In the state of Michigan, driving under the influence is defines as having a blood alcohol content of 0.08% or more. If you are driving a commercial vehicle with a BAC of 0.04% or if you or under the age of 21 with a BAC of 0.02%, you will receive a DUI charge.
The penalties for a DUI charge will vary based on a few factors like, if anyone was injured while you were driving, if you have any prior convictions, or if there was a minor present in the vehicle with you.
DUI penalties in Oakland County include:
- Fines up to $500
- Court Mandated Community Service Hours
- License Suspension Up to 1 Month and License Restrictions Up to 5 Months
- Ignition Interlock Instillation
- Six Points Added to Your Driving Record
On the other hand, operating while visibility impaired (OWVI) means driving a motor vehicle and being visibly affected by alcohol or drugs. The penalties (e.g. jail time, fines, license suspension, probation, classes, etc.) depend on the nature of the offense and the defendant’s drunk driving history.
The following are the OWI convictions and associated penalties in Michigan:
- Operating While Intoxicated (OWI): Alcohol or drugs in your body substantially affected your ability to operate a motor vehicle safely; a bodily alcohol content (BAC) at or above 0.08; having a high BAC means the alcohol level in your body was at or above 0.17. Some refer this high BAC as a Super Drunk.
- Operating While Visibly Impaired (OWVI): Because of alcohol or other drugs, your ability to operate a motor vehicle was visibly impaired.
- Operating With Any Presence of a Schedule 1 Drug or Cocaine (OWPD): Having even a small trace of these drugs in your body, even if you do not appear to be intoxicated or impaired.
- Zero Tolerance
- Under 21 years old
- Drove with a bodily alcohol content of 0.02 or more, or with any presence of alcohol in your body except for that consumed at a generally recognized religious ceremony.
In Michigan, there are a lot of variations of what someone calls Drunk Driving. DUI, OWI, OUIN, OUIL, OUID, UBAL, DWI, and so on. Regardless of what someone calls the offense, a person who is arrested for driving/operating under the influence of alcohol, drugs or a combination of both, is facing serious consequences. That person needs a professional to adequately represent them in court. When someone is convicted for an alcohol/drug related driving offense, it could result in jail time with heavy fines and costs, can affect a person’s career, insurance premiums could increase, and possible license suspensions or restrictions. We are cognizant of the stress a person endures with a pending drunk driving case. At Fraiberg & Pernie our experienced and professional attorneys can help keep your stress level to a minimum every step of the way, help keep you out of jail, and save you money.
Protecting the Rights of Drivers throughout Oakland County
If you or someone you love was charged with drunk driving in Birmingham or Oak Park, MI, the lawyers at Fraiberg & Pernie can help. We are here to quickly get to work, thoroughly address your criminal charges and your driving privileges. Our firm is extremely well-versed in the laws and penalties which apply to DUI cases and can ensure you fully understand your rights and options. As a member of the DUI Lawyers Association, Attorney Pernie is highly qualified to handle these types of cases. Our attorneys are here to support you and guide you through every step of the legal process, working towards the most positive outcome, such as reduced or dropped charges and penalties.
For your FREE consultation with a DUI attorney in Oakland County, MI, call Fraiberg & Pernie today at (248) 440-7936 or contact us online.